Translate

Thursday, April 17, 2014

What is in a Name?

Choosing names for our children was a daunting task. We wanted the name to flow with our last name and of course we did not want nicknames. Being the sentimental people that we are,  tradition was a must. Our son Tyler, received his Dad and Papa's middle name (Boyd) and of course the last name would be carried another generation. His twin sister received my middle name (Lynn) and her first name is Sara after Abraham's wife in the Bible. At the ripe age of 27, I felt like I was going to be Sarah's age, somewhere in her 90's before I had children! Our third daughter, Jenny Beth is named after two incredible ladies who are very dear to our hearts. Funny thing is, some of their personalities  come out in her and when they do,  we giggle and say, "Yeah, we named her with the right names!"

I say all of that to say this. When naming our children we put a lot of thought into names and their meanings, but do we ever think about ALL of the names of God and what they mean? He is God, Creator, He is Lord, He is Jesus, Jehovah, Abba, Father, Yahweh, Adonai, Jehovah Jireh, our Comforter, Redeemer, Forgiver, Sustainer, our Protector, He IS THE King of Kings, El Shaddai, El Roi, Elohim, Prince of Peace, Savior, He is the GREAT I AM! The list goes on and on, but do we truly get it...get HIM? A few years back when I had a scare with cancerous cells, those names became real! He is my Refuge, my Rock, my Strong Tower; for in Him I will not be moved. 

As we are coming upon the day that we celebrate Jesus' resurrection and the fact that He is ALIVE, take a moment to remember ALL of who He is and what He has done for you!



Psalms 50:1
"The Mighty One, God, The Lord, speaks and summons the earth from the rising of the sun to the place where it sets."

Psalms 62:6-7
"He alone is my rock and my salvation; He is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on God; He is my mighty rock, my refuge."

Psalms 63:1
"O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is not water."

Isaiah 9:6b
"And He will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."

Isaiah 41:4
"Who has done this and carried it through, calling for the generations from the beginning? I, The Lord with the first of them and with the last, I AM HE."

Isaiah 41:13
"For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you."

Isaiah 48:17
"This is what the Lord says, your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel; 'I am the Lord your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go'."

If you need some help with your worship go to UTube and search for:

Kari Jobe - When I Speak Your Name



No comments:

Post a Comment