Translate

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Dazed and Confused

At the end of the school year it never fails, I always feel a little dazed and confused. I am trying to get the End of Year testing completed, which makes me nervous. What if I didn't teach my children everything they need to know? What if they completely bomb the test? Does that mean I didn't do my job? What if we had entirely too many "field trips"? Not to mention that after Spring break, the kids and I have mentally checked out of school!

Homeschooling is one of those tasks that you have to be called into. Although with all of the resources out there, just about anyone can do it...but you have to be disciplined; otherwise your whole school year is like you have just come off of Spring break! When God called us to homeschool, I was a little apprehensive, okay a lot  apprehensive! This is probably the only time that I have put a fleece out for God. You know.... "God if this is what you are telling me, then.......", you fill in the blank. I needed a direct answer, after all a child's future is based on their education.

There are fundamentals that I can teach, like 1 + 1 = 2, or that an action verb is the word in the sentence that is doing the action, or that the Declaration of Independence was signed July 4th, 1776. Then there are life lessons which are taught by observation. YIKES! Our children are imitators, now if that doesn't scare you, I don't know what will!

I remember as a teenager seeing my Mom study God's Word every morning. When we would get up for school, her Bible was always open on the kitchen table where she had been doing her quiet time. Now at the time I didn't think anything of it! It was routine, but now as an adult what an impact that has made on me. I began imitating that same routine as an adult. I can only hope that my children will do the same. Proverbs 22:6, Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it."

Sin in our life makes us dazed and confused! Here's the catch, do we live as though sin defeats us? If we are new creatures in Christ then we are free! Although children may not know the details of our sin, they see how we react or live according to sin. Do they see me living as if I am defeated or freed from sin? Scripture tells us in Psalms 103:10-12, "He does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us." If God doesn't remember my sins, why should I? Remember, our children imitate us! We are their examples and encouragers, how can they learn to live being free from sin if we can't? Galatians 5:1, "It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery."

Jesus Christ is our ULTIMATE role model and we are to be imitators of him. With the weight of our sin, He did not remain defeated, the grave had no bearing on him. Therefore, our sin should not have any bearing on us! LIVE A LIFE THAT IS FREE, ONE THAT IS ABUNDANT! That is what we want for our children.....right?

Romans 8:34-36

"Jesus replied, 'I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. So if the Son sets you free, 
YOU WILL BE FREE INDEED'."







No comments:

Post a Comment