Translate

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Get Fit!

A few years back I trained for the Gate River Run. When you first start running you think your run will never end and then all of a sudden something clicks with you and you actually love it. Running for me is a stress reliever and actually it is a time that I can reflect on God's creation and God Himself. It is a great prayer time!

While studying this week for my Sunday School lesson, God reminded me that a race has been placed before me. It is not a physical race, it is a spiritual one. Hebrews 12:1-3, "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." 

I can remember when I first made the decision to start running how daunting the task was. I started with a walk to warm up and then I would run for a quarter of a mile. I thought I would never get to the point of running a mile without walking. I was winded, I was tired, my calves hurt, I had blisters...I could go on and on, but you get the picture. There were times I just wanted to stop, but I had a goal set in front of me that I wanted to accomplish. I had to persevere! My body had to be trained to have the correct posture, a proper breathing pattern and most importantly I had to train my mind.

Our lives spiritually are conducive to the same type of training. When the decision has been made to enter into a relationship with Jesus, our training begins. I think so many of us including me, expect our lives to be hassle free because we have Jesus. This is not an accurate assumption. James 1:2-4, states, "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." Paul says in Romans that we must "rejoice in our sufferings", because through these sufferings we will yield, you guessed it perseverance! Not only perseverance, but character and hope.

What am I doing to train for the race set before me spiritually? Do I realize the goal....the PRIZE? When training for a race like the River Run, there are definite benefits. You have more energy and you will see your body transform! It is the same when you train spiritually, you have increased endurance, AND your life is being transformed in the likeness of Christ!

When training, there are several obstacles that can be a deterrent. When getting up early to run, I can be hindered by the weather or muscle aches and it is no different for spiritual training! Galatians 5:7-8 (MSG) says, "You were running superbly! Who cut in on you deflecting you from the true course of obedience? This detour doesn't come from the ONE who called you into the race in the first place."There are hinderances that are occur in our life, but we must persevere, keeping our goal in front of us. We are sure to have the proper equipment when running; running shoes, clothing that is comfortable and sometimes we go the extra mile and purchase a pedometer or an awesome application we can add to our phones to help motivate us. The same is indicative in our pursuit of becoming spiritually fit. The training equipment to help us endure the race spiritually should involve  time spent daily in God's Word, find an accountability partner, and fellowship with fellow believers!




No comments:

Post a Comment