Translate

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

A Clean Mirror

"Lukewarm living and claiming Christ's name simultaneously is utterly disgusting to God." by Francis Chan

Over the past month this statement has been prevalent in my life. Scripture tells us to live a life that is holy, I Peter 1:16-16, "But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written, 'BE HOLY, BECAUSE I AM HOLY'." In the times we are living, it is so important for us to live this scripture out. I will be the first to ask, how in the world can I live this day in and day out? But God in His "all knowing" character has already answered that! 2 Peter 1: 3-4 states, "His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires." Are you kidding me? You mean He has given me EVERYTHING I need? Then why is it so hard?

Why is it that we struggle with envy, pride, not being self-controlled, lovers of ourselves, ungrateful, unforgiving....the list goes on and on? We live in a society that has made us believe that it is all about me and my happiness. As a wife, parent, daughter, sister, aunt and friend,  there are so many things I would change. That is if I could go back. John Maxwell said, "I can teach what I know, but I reproduce what I am"! Ouch! Have I lived a life that is lukewarm? Is that what my life has reproduced? Others being lukewarm because of my example? Revelation 3:15-16 reads, "I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! so, because you are lukewarm--neither hot nor cold--I am about to spit (vomit) you out of my mouth."

Do I live a life that screams, I can do what I want because I know I have a God that will forgive me? It was said to me this past week, "why can't I make a mistake? Others that I have looked up to are choosing to be stupid!" I have replayed this statement in my head over and over and the problem lies in the fact that we have fixed our eyes on others and not on Christ. With that being said, we as Christians have to make sure that our lives reflect Christ! Don't get me wrong, we are going to make mistakes and we do have a God that will forgive, but that is not how I should venture to live my life.

Years ago, I went to children's camp as a chaperone. It is so funny, as an adult you go to help with the children, to counsel them, to be a blessing to them! Oh, let's be honest, I went to make sure my kids were taken care of! On arrival, I quickly found this was not your typical camp. The chaperones did not have to entertain or even prepare Bible study. What? This particular camp was put on by a man of God who had a passion to disciple college students and teach them to love others. The college students were the ones that prepared devotionals, recreation and down time for the kids. So what were we as adults to do? We were being fed spiritually by the leader of this camp.

I will never forget the illustration he gave one night! He had a full length mirror that he held and a light was shown into the mirror, producing a reflector of bright light. This is what he said..."Our lives are like a mirror and they give off a reflection of who we are. If I know Christ as my personal Lord and Savior then my life should be a reflection of Him!" He proceeded to ask if our mirror was clean, so that others would see a reflection of Jesus in our life, or was it dirty? Was the reflection of me and not Jesus? This goes back to John Maxwell's quote, "I can teach what I know, but I reproduce what I am!"

2 Timothy 1:7, "For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline." Living a life that is lukewarm is not pleasing to God, nor is it what I (we) should be reproducing. Father, help me to keep the mirror you have given me clean, so that others can see a reflection of you and not me. Give me strength to live with the spirit of your power and your love....to be self disciplined.

No comments:

Post a Comment