Translate

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Learning To Let Go and Let God

When our children were young, I can remember thinking, "Goodnight, will they ever be self sufficient". Especially when the twins were babies; I thought they would never be old enough to feed themselves. Just when they were old enough to feed themselves, go to the potty by themselves and even make some decisions on their own, another baby was on the way! The process started yet again. As I sit back and think about how tired I was with two 5 year olds and an infant, those were the days to cherish. Now they are young adults and the baby is now 13 years old.

Lately, the baby, Jenny Beth has wanted to watch home videos, in which has stirred up many different emotions for me. I have laughed, I have cried and even thought, "what was I thinking", that is in reference to hairstyle and clothes! A children's book that we read to them was, Love you Forever by Robert Munsch. At the time it was just another book to read, but recently I have discovered how accurate the words really are. "I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, as long as I'm living, my baby you'll be" rings in my mind to this very day. No matter how old your children get, they will always be your baby and you will always love them.

As our children grow older and develop who they are as adults, we may not always agree with their thoughts, or their actions, but I cling to Proverbs 22:6, "Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it". There are many times, we want to help them make the "right" choices; one, because we have been there; two, we have witnessed others experience or three, because we can see the "whole" picture.

If I could give young parents some advice;  teach your children, Matthew 22:37-39, "Jesus replied; 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind', this is the first and greatest commandment, and the second is like it; 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'" I truly believe if we as parents would make a point to teach and LIVE OUT this truth to our children from day one, the promise of Proverbs 22:6 will be evident.

I cannot say that Gary and I were always great examples of loving the Lord with all of our hearts or for that matter loving our neighbors, but I am confident that God is always faithful, even when we were not. Through the process of watching our children grow up, we are trying to trust God with them by learning to let go and let God direct their path. They may not always do things right, but I remain hopeful that my God is faithful and He will continue to provide them with direction, even if it hurts them along the way.

Father, give me the strength and discernment to know when to step in on choices that our children are making and when to keep my mouth shut. Help me to let go and let you direct their path.

http://robertmunsch.com/book/love-you-forever

No comments:

Post a Comment