Translate

Monday, October 23, 2017

"Vibrant Demonstration"




Am I just a "do-gooder" or do I have a "vibrant demonstration of God's Love"? This scares me, I never want to be the person who is filled with doing good because it is the right thing to do.

I came across this prayer in my quiet time with the Lord and it says,

"Lord of my life, transform me from the inside out by Your love. Create in me a pure heart that is continually washed and cleansed by Your Word. Develop within me a good conscience and a sincere faith as I live out Your truths by the power of Your Spirit. Jesus, I want my life to be a vibrant demonstration of Your love, so that others will be drawn to You and receive You as their Lord and Savior. In Jesus' name, amen." 

A "vibrant demonstration", let us just rest on those 2 words for just a minute.  The Miriam-Webster Dictionary defines vibrant as "pulsating with life, vigor or activity" and demonstration is defined as "an outward expression or display". When looking at our lives, so many times we have the demonstration part down pat. All day long we have an outward display on life, whether good or bad, but when it comes to vibrant, a life that is pulsating with vigor we tend to fall short. We get caught up in life and we demonstrate or "display" by doing the right things, but is that display "pulsating with life, with vigor"? I hate to admit it, but so many times I do not hit the mark.

Saturday, Jenny Beth, Tyler and Courtney and I traveled to Orlando to visit with Sara Lynn. We attended church on Sunday, then went to eat lunch with Sara Lynn and some of her friends. As we sat in the restaurant completing our afternoon, I couldn't help but feel whole as a mom. We had all "demonstrated" by doing our church thing, and nothing is better than going to church and watching your children worship...just saying. We all walked out of the restaurant with our bellies full, our hearts full from the sermon, yet most of us did not even notice Will. 

Will, a 32 year old homeless man, addicted to drugs was sitting at a table outside of the restaurant. His blond hair was just above the shoulder, dirty and in all honesty probably had not seen a comb or shampoo in weeks. His shirt was tattered and dirty, his face distraught, aged more than his 32 years. His eyes were filled with nothing but despair, loneliness, hunger and most likely hazed over from the high he experienced during the night.  His life was not a "vibrant demonstration" of hope, but one of hopelessness. I am positive that as a little boy, Will's dream was not to become a homeless man addicted to drugs. 

Tyler my son, bought Will some lunch, sat with him and conversed about life. It was evident that Will was not ready to change his ways and ask for help from his addiction. He by no way was indignant or haughty to Tyler, but had not reached that point of brokenness. Tyler made sure that Will had enough to eat and drink, he prayed protection over him and encouraged Will to seek help. Although Tyler was a little rattled by Will to say the least,  I believe that by taking the time to shake Will's hand, meet a physical need and listen to him was a "vibrant demonstration" of God's unconditional and unfailing love.

I cannot help but think how many times we miss the outward display or expression that is pulsating with vigor in our lives about God's love. Goodnight, our life should be such a reflection of what God has done for us that we do not miss the opportunities to share God's love with the "Will's" we encounter.

Find a "Will" today that can help you have a "vibrant demonstration" of God's Love.





No comments:

Post a Comment