Translate

Friday, August 7, 2015

INHALE....I Dare You!


I think we can all agree that oxygen is needed to sustain life. Our bodies were created with the mechanism to inhale oxygen without us even having to think about it. During this process of inhaling there are certain fragrances that we love and some, well, NOT SO MUCH! Have you ever walked by a bakery and inhaled....oh my, the sweet aroma! For me, I always want to stop and get something, but yet for some reason when walking by the trash can that has been sitting in the sun for hours, even days, I do not have that same eagerness!

Just as oxygen is needed for life, the Holy Scriptures as Paul wrote to Timothy are needed. In 2 Timothy 3: 14-17, Paul is giving last  instructions to Timothy to carry him through the ministry. "But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."


Although I enjoy technology, I am a firm believer that turning the pages of God's Word daily provides more spiritual oxygen for me than scrolling on my phone.....it might be that there are too many distractions, I guess you could say that I have ADD!  At that moment when spending time with God through scripture, I want to INHALE, breathe in what God has breathed out! Scripture provides life, IT IS LIFE, it allows me to breathe even when I am drowning under waters of life. Hebrews 4:12, "For the Word of God is living and active!" With all of the garbage that is being set out in our lives to cause distraction, we do not have to inhale that grotesque aroma. God's Word is our shield, it is that sweet fragrance...it provides peace, understanding, hope and a confidence that "ALL THINGS WORK TOGETHER FOR THE GOOD OF THOSE WHO LOVE HIM"!

Louie Giglio's illustration using scuba gear is spot on. While an oxygen tank is used to provide air while scuba diving, a person must first open the valve to the tank in order to breathe while under water. God's Word is no different, we must open up the Holy Scriptures to receive Holy air! Just sit back open up God's Word and INHALE. Go ahead, I dare you......BREATHE IT IN, INHALE!

No comments:

Post a Comment